Ready-to-Use refrigerator crust…unfold as directed
4 tablespoons ( 1/4 Cup ) butter, softened
1/2 Cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
5 large Golden Delicious apples
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Line nonstick 9-10-inch skillet with Saran Wrap. Place pie crust in skillet and gently press to shape of skillet. Put in freezer for 10 minutes. Lift wrap and crust from skillet, put on plate, cut a small “X” in crust, and return to freezer.
- Place oven rack in lowest position if oven. Heat to 400 degrees. Spread butter over bottom and sides of skillet. Sprinkle 1/2 Cup sugar over bottom.
- Peel, halve, and core apples. Set aside 1 and 1/2 apples. Then cut remaining halves in one-half and reserve 4 pieces. Arrange remaining (1/4-size apples) around edge of skillet ( round sides down, and slightly overlapping). Place 1/2 apple in center, and suround with remaining apple slices.
- Combine 1 tablespoon sugar, the cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle on apples.
- Cook on top of stove over medium-high heat. Swirling the skillet gently for 10 to 15 minutes, until sugar carmelizes to a golden brown. This is tricky, because obviously you do NOT want to burn the apples. Experience will help you here. When time is up, remove from heat.
- Place cold crust upside down on top of apples…outer perimeter of crust is pusheddown between apples and side of skillet.
- Bake on lowest oven rack for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is browned.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven. Run a plastic knife around outer skillet to loosen. Place a large flat plate upside down over skillet. Holding both bottom of skillet and plate together, carefully invert the plate/skillet, ending up with tart on plate. Carefully lift off the skillet. And scrape caramel from skillet. And re-arrange any apples that have shifted. Serve either warm or at room temperature. Best eaten the same day.